2 sweet potatoes
1 cup BBQ sauce (use your favorite brand)
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sized broccoli crown, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 orange pepper, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon local sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Scrub the sweet potatoes and, using the prongs of a fork, prick the potatoes about 8-10 times. Set on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for approximately 35-40 minutes (may take longer depending upon the size of the potatoes you are using). Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Once oil is shimmering, add the broccoli, onion, yellow & orange peppers and fennel seed. Stirring frequently, cook the vegetables until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Turn off heat.
3. Spread about 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce over a serving platter. Place sweet potatoes on top and, using a sharp knife, cut down the center of each potato (careful not to cut all the way through) and use the back of a fork to “mash” them so that the flesh is fluffy and partially removed from the sides of the outer skin.
4. Top each potato evenly with the vegetable mixture, letting it spill onto the platter on top of the BBQ sauce.
5. Serve immediately alongside the extra BBQ sauce for dipping and drizzling on top.