3 ounces good chocolate, chopped
5 Tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (or 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon finely ground espresso (optional)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed and quartered
1/4 cup fresh basil, gently torn into small pieces
2 cups pure maple syrup, warmed
1. Melt chopped chocolate and butter together, stirring until all chocolate pieces are completely melted.
2. Using a whisk, add in eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
3. Gently stir in flour, cacao powder, espresso (if using) and mini chocolate chips.
4. Heat a waffle maker to medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Once the waffle maker is hot, evenly pour batter onto the surface, gently close the top and cook according to your waffle maker’s instructions. Once waffle is ready, open the top and remove waffle (tip: using a small rubber spatula to gently loosen the sides will help keep the waffle together while lifting off). Repeat until you have used all of the prepared batter.
5. Transfer waffles to individual serving plates and top with fresh strawberries, basil and warm maple syrup.
– you can easily substitute carob or almond milk chocolate and use non-dairy carob chips