For the Meatballs:
– 8 oz ground organic turkey
– 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
– 2 tsp dried oregano
– 2 TBS plain organic coconut milk
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 shallot, finely minced
– 1 scallion, finely chopped (using both white and green parts)
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
For the Soup:
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 1/4 cups 1/4-inch diced carrots
– 1 cup ¼ inch diced Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
– 1 1/4 cups diced yellow onion
– 3/4 cup 1/4-inch diced celery
– 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
– 2 cups organic lacinato kale, stems removed & finely chopped
– 5 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable stock if making vegetarian)
– 1 cup cooked organic brown rice
– ¼ cup fresh dill, minced
– 2 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
– Finely shredded imported parmesan, for serving
For the meatballs:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Add turkey to a large mixing bowl. Add in bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, coconut milk, garlic, shallot, scallion, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
2. Gently toss and break up mixture with hands to evenly coat and distribute. Shape mixture into very small meatballs, about 3/4 inch to 1 inch and line, single-file, on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Bake meatballs for 10-12 minutes, tossing gently at the half-way point to ensure they cook evenly and are cook throughout.
4. Transfer meatballs to a plate or baking sheet lined with dry parchment paper to cool.
For the soup:
1. While meatballs are cooking, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onions, potato and celery and sauté until veggies have softened about 6 – 8 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
2. Pour in chicken broth, dill, lemon juice, and season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add kale and turkey meatballs and continue to simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, stir in rice and serve immediately, offering parmesan cheese on the side.
Leave A Comment