CK Quinoa & 3 Bean Chili
Courtney Doyle, Clandestine Kitchen
1 cup golden organic quinoa, cook according to directions and set aside
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small Vidalia onion, finely diced
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen fire roasted corn, thawed
1 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5 ounce can white northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 24 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes
3 cups organic gluten-free vegetable broth
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
sea salt (we prefer locally made Duxbury Saltworks) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 avocado, pitted and diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
2 tablespoons salted and roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. Warm olive oil in a large dutch oven (or a deep, oven-proof skillet). Add onion, peppers, garlic and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add all spices, sea salt and black pepper and cook for additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add tomatoes and broth – bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Add beans, corn, prepared quinoa and lime juice and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately in individual serving bowls, offering the opportunity for each person to add their own toppings.
Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.