1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 cup of red lentils, rinsed
1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups filtered water
1 15 ounce can organic coconut milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute longer.
2. Add turmeric, cardamom, paprika, salt and tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes begin to break down, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add lentils and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to make sure lentils don’t stick.
4. Once lentils have broken down and soup is creamy, add in coconut milk, lemon juice, spinach and additional salt to taste. Stir to combine until spinach has wilted slightly.
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately with jasmine rice, Naan bread or simply with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and cracked black pepper.