1/3 cup pure cane sugar for filling, plus 1 cup for cake
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
4 cups flour (can substitute whole wheat flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoon salt
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
confectioners sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a ring cake pan.
2. Toss apples together with 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer (or, you can use a hand mixer), combine flour, remaining 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs, oil, orange juice and vanilla and beat on low speed for 1 minute.
4. Spoon one-third of the batter into prepared ring cake pan. Add one-half of the apple mixture. Add another one-third of the batter, layer the remaining apples and top with remaining batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until cake is cooked throughout. Let cool and remove from pan (you may need to loosen the sides of the pan with a spatula or knife before cake will come out easily). Serve warm or room temperature.
Leave A Comment