3 (10oz) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 small onions, chopped
6 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Cream of Wheat
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups good feta cheese, crumbled
1 pound Phyllo dough sheets
1 to 1 1/4 cups butter, melted and warm
1. Drain thawed spinach throughly in a colander (squeeze out any excess water). It is very important to squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
2. In a large skillet, saute onions in olive oil over medium heat until tender, stirring constantly. Add spinach, water, seasonings and cook until illiquid is absorbed. Sprinkle Cream of Wheat on top and set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs and feta cheese; stir in spinach mixture, blending well. Set aside.
4. Prepare a 9 1/2 x 13 baking dish by brushing the bottom and sides of the dish with olive oil.
5. Line the baking dish with two sheets of phyllo letting them overlap the sides of the dish. Brush with melted butter. Add two more sheets in the same manner, brush with butter. Repeat until 2/3 of the phyllo is used up and stacked on top of each other.
6. Evenly spread the spinach and feta filling over the phyllo crust. Top with two more sheets of phyllo, and brush top with butter.
7. Continue to layer the phyllo sheets, two at a time, brushing with butter, until you have used up all of the sheets for the top layer. Brush the very top with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with a few drops of water.
8. Fold the flaps or excess from the sides, crumbling them a little (this will give the top and sides more texture). Brush the folded sides with butter.
9. Bake in 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Cut into squares or wedges and arrange on a serving platter.
– It’s very important the filling isn’t too juicy otherwise the bottom layers of phyllo become soggy. You can use a slotted spoon when spooning filling into the pan. This will allow any excess liquid to drain.
– Buy feta in a solid block and crumble yourself. If you cannot find a block of feta, you can use pre-crumbled however, it will not have the same creamy texture.
– You can always alter this recipe and simply spoon spinach mixture into phyllo cups to serve as an appetizer or snack.
Leave A Comment