Classic Beef Bourguignon (featuring HALE Bone Broth)
Courtney Doyle, Clandestine Kitchen
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8-10 sliced organic fruitwood smoked bacon, sliced into bite sized pieces
2 pounds grass-fed organic beef (1 inch, cubed)
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 large baking potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Duxbury Saltworks sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 bottle good red wine (we like Friend of Farmer organic red, available at Ralph’s Hingham Wine Merchant)
2 cups HALE bone broth
2 Tablespoons organic tomato paste
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
1 bay leaf
1 pound Baby Bella organic mushrooms, quartered
* serve with more fresh thyme, crusty bread or prepared golden quinoa, if desired *
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees – or set up your slow cooker to low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours
2. Heat oil in large dutch oven or deep sauté pan. Add bacon and cook (medium heat) for 7-8 minutes, until browned. Remove and set aside.
3. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and add to dutch oven, working in single-layer batches, browning on all sides. Set aside.
4. Add carrots, onion, potatoes, garlic, sea salt and black pepper to pan. Stir and cook until onions are softened and slightly browned.
5. Place beef and bacon back in the pot and add wine, tomato paste, HALE bone broth and thyme.
6. Either bring to a gentle simmer and, with tight-fitting cover in place, move to preheated oven for approximately 1 1/2 hours – OR – transfer all ingredients to slow cooker (lid firmly in place) for designated length of time (varies with selected heat, see above).
7. Serve hot in individual serving bowls and garnish with more thyme. Serve with a side of crusty bread or golden quinoa.
THE HALE Bone Broth is a locally-made, small batch broth crafted with 100% grass fed and grass finished beef bones. It is 100% grain free and the bones are sourced from quality farms where the cows are pasture raised. Bone broth is not only rich and delicious but filled with the minerals, collagen and nutrients your body needs. Bone broth is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, trace minerals, and has nutrients and amino acids in it. It supports bone health, nervous system, heals leaky gut, aids in sleep, digestion, supports healthy skin, hair and nails and is considered to be an immune booster.