3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (pepper jack, cheddar, or mozzarella works, too)
6 medium-sized four tortillas
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients (adapted from “It’s All Easy” by Gwyneth Paltrow):
1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 Tbs. cumin
1 Tbs. chili powder
3 Tbs. chipotle sauce
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
pinch of local sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking dish (9×11) with cooking spray or olive oil.
2. Add all sauce ingredients to a food processor fitted with a metal blade and combine until smooth. Transfer to a medium sized saucepan and, with the heat set to low, warm sauce slightly.
3. Pour about 1 cup of sauce evenly into the baking dish, coating the bottom.
4. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, add 1/2 cup prepared chicken, 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese and 1 tablespoon of sauce. Roll tightly and place, seam-side down, in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chicken, cheese and sauce and place all tortillas in baking dish in a tightly-packed, single row.
5. Bake, uncovered, for about 10-12 minutes until edges begin to crisp and top of tortillas begins to brown slightly. Remove from oven.
6. Top tortillas with about 2 cups of enchilada sauce and remaining cheese. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5-6 minutes until sauce is bubbly.
7. Turn broiler on high and broil, until cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 1 minute.
8. Remove and let cool slightly. Serve immediately with sour cream, extra enchilada sauce and guacamole.