Utilizing pantry staples doesn’t mean you have to eat mac ‘n cheese for every meal. Getting creative with your flavor profiles and awakening your tastebuds to new adventures can be as simple as simmering lentil, coconut milk and spices on the stove (proof below). Our CK Red Lentil Dal is a CK home meal delivery menu favorite – we add turmeric and ginger for extra TLC and immunity-boosting goodness and toss in a little fresh (or frozen) spinach for extra plant power.
Healthy eating doesn’t have to lack adventure. While we are not able to travel the world during this time, we can bring a little bit of the world into our own kitchens by channeling inspiration from the places on our (future) bucket list.
CK Red Lentil Dal
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (use ground ginger if you don’t have fresh on hand)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1/2 lime, juiced
1 handful fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) spinach
chopped cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds and balsamic glaze for garnish (optional)
1. To prepare lentils: add lentils and 3 cups of water to a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Drain off excess water and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
3. Add turmeric, cardamom, paprika, cinnamon, sea salt and crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine.
4. Add prepared lentils to the skillet with the vegetable spice mixture and fold together. Add lime juice and spinach, sprinkling in additional sea salt, if desired.
5. Garnish with cilantro, pumpkin seeds and balsamic glaze (optional) and serve with gluten-free basmati rice or quinoa.