2 Acorn Squash (trimmed and sliced in half)
2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
1 tbsp Raw Honey
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup Quinoa (uncooked)
1 1/2 cups Water
10 ozs Organic Chicken Sausage (no sugar
1 Yellow Onion
1 Garlic (clove, minced)
4 cups Baby Spinach
1 tbsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (ground)
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF (204ºC).
2. Slice the tips off of your acorn squash so that it will sit flat. Then cut the squash in half
and carve out the seeds. Brush the inside of each squash with olive oil. Then brush the
inside of each squash with honey. Sprinkle each squash with cinnamon. Place the
squash on a baking sheet, flesh side up and pop them in the oven. Roast for 30 minutes
or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. While the squash is roasting, cook your quinoa by combining quinoa and water in a saucepan. Place over
high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for
12 to 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and set aside.
4. Heat your remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the casing from the
sausage and add the meat to the skillet. Add the onions and saute until sausage is
cooked through. Add the minced garlic and saute for another minute. Add spinach,
rosemary and nutmeg. Saute just until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat then stir in
the quinoa. Mix well.
5. Fill each squash with several heaping tablespoons of filling and drizzle additional honey on top. Serve immediately.
– Skip the sausage and use 1 can of chickpeas, lentils or beans instead for vegan.
– Store covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Leave A Comment