2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely ground with a spice grinder
7 whole San Marzano tomatoes, drained
1 pound pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 3/4 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup mascarpone cheese
1. In a medium pot set over low heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil with garlic and fennel seed.
2. Squeeze the tomatoes over the pot so as to break up the flesh and catch all juices in the pot. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until tomatoes turn dark red.
3. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir in squash, pumpkin and potatoes. Add enough vegetable stock to just cover the vegetables and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking that the vegetables are just submerged.
4. Once vegetables are tender, remove pot from heat and mash with a potato masher. The soup should be thick and creamy, the consistency of risotto.
5. Ladle soup into four shallow bowls. Garnish with grated Parmesan and a few dollops of mascarpone cheese.