1 cup white rice
2 cups vegetable stock (plus 3 Tbs. additional for sauce)
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. water
2 cups broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
1 red pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 cup cashews
Special Sauce Ingredients:
1 Tbs. corn starch (optional)
2 Tbs. cold water (optional)
1 Tbs. sesame oil
3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs. agave nectar (or maple syrup)
3 Tbs. vegetable stock
1. In a small saucepan (with a lid), bring 2 cups vegetable stock to a boil, stir in rice, reduce heat to LOW and cover with lid. Let rice simmer for 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and set aside.
2. Meanwhile in a wok, or heavy-bottomed large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is fully cooked, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add broccoli and red pepper to the wok (or pan). Add 1 tablespoon of water and continue to stir until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cashews and cook 1 minute more. Turn off heat.
4. In a medium bowl, using a metal whisk, combine corn starch and water. Add remaining Special Sauce ingredients and whisk together until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
5. In individual serving bowls, place 1/2 cup cooked rice, 1 cup of prepared stir fry and drizzle with Special Sauce, to taste.
– If you have coconut aminos on hand, substitute for soy sauce and omit the agave nectar.
– Omit cashews for nut-free.
– If you do not have corn starch, simply omit starch and water. Sauce will be thinner but still delicious.
Leave A Comment